Sacred Café at Stanfords Covent Garden
Sacred Café’s story
Kia ora and welcome to Sacred!
If you’re a fan of Antipodean-style cafes, gourmet coffee, herbal teas and great food, welcome home! Started by New Zealanders Tubbs Wanigasekera and Matthew Clark, Sacred began as a dream of introducing the New Zealand café experience to Londoners via a chain of stunning designer locations.
Over four years and thousands of great coffees later, the vision of their now older and wiser owners has almost been fulfilled. Sacred now has six locations in central London and a reputation for being one of the country’s favourite café experiences.
We look forward to sharing our Sacred experience with you at Stanfords.
Tubbs & Matthew
We are enormously proud of our coffee, blended and roasted to reflect a typical New Zealand-style café house roast.
The Sacred House Roast is a typical New Zealand organic fairtrade coffee roast – mellow and aromatically complex with a full body, moderate acidity and nutty/earthy flavours.
We make sure all our baristas have at least one year's experience in making world-class coffee to ensure that you get the very best that we can offer each and every time you visit.
A great deal of passion and experience has gone into the Sacred house tea blend (grown in co-owner Tubbs’ family plantations in Sri Lanka (Ceylon)). Four generations of ownership in Sri Lanka brings you the finest Ceylon tea at Sacred.
Our elite herbal/ayurvedic loose-leaf teas are created with the highest quality organic ingredients and have greater flavour and visual appeal than the normal teas offered on the high street. All our teas are loose-leaf and hand-filled at ordering in specially made pouches – tea bags are banned in Sacred Cafés! If you are enjoying Sacred tea in store rather than taking it away, your tea will be served in an antique or quirky tea-pot.
Our Sacred menu is a celebration of hearty, well-made food with an emphasis on flavour.
Keep an eye out for some quintessentially Kiwi menu items such as savoury muffins and our world-famous Lolly Cake!
Here’s a small taste of some of the menu items that you will find at Sacred:
- Organic muesli with yoghurt & fresh fruit
- Toasted bagel with avocado, cream cheese, tomato & pesto
- Organic scrambled egg, spring onion & feta cheese on wholemeal toast
- Ardennes pate with toast & caramelised red onion chutney
- Homemade soups with warm crusty roll
- Hummus with lightly toasted flat bread
- Grilled ciabatta with a range of fillings
- Bowls of fresh organic salads
- Organic chocolate, banana or carrot cake with fresh cream or unsweetened yoghurt
- Fresh pastries, muffins and flapjacks.
- The café is open the same hours as the store – see the opening times on the London store info page.